April 9, 2014 Minutes

Present: Brenda Mulrooney, Chair; Iris Tolliver, Clerk Treasurer; Bill Nauss, Commissioner; Wynand Baerken, Commissioner; Bill Zinck, Vice-Chair
Regrets: Michael Heisler

1.0 Call to Order
Chair Mulrooney called the monthly meeting to order at 7:01 pm.
2.0 Minutes from March 12, 2014
MOTION: Bill Zinck moved, Bill Nauss seconded, the acceptance of the March 12, 2014 minutes. Carried.
3.0 Glen Strang, DOTIR Area Manager, Lunenburg/Queens – Streets of Chester
Chair Mulrooney introduced Glen Strang, and stated that Mr. Strang was here to discuss the streets of Chester as a response to a letter which was written after the March/14’s meeting.
Mr. Strang asked for concerns that the Commission has and check them out. There are a few projects planned for this summer, one of which is Granite Street.
Iris Tolliver brought forth a Village resident’s concern of having a ‘rubber blade’ put on the plow; Mr. Strang said most plows will probably have the rubber blades installed for next year’s use.
Several issues/locations were named and Mr. Strang said he will look into the areas. A list should be generated for any other issues and then Mr. Strang will look into the issues.
Chair Mulrooney asked the electors present if they had any comments. Thank-you’s were expressed to Mr. Strang and the Department of Transportation for their willingness to look into the issues. Chair Mulrooney thanked Mr. Strang for coming to the meeting and discussing these issues.
4.0 Business Arising from the Minutes
a) Electric Car Charging Station Update
Iris Tolliver stated that Nova Scotia Power will be coming to assess the new location for the electric charging system at Queen Street/Pleasant Street April 15, 2014.
b) Date for Election and AGM
Chair Mulrooney stated that the Commissions monthly meeting for May has been changed to Tuesday, May 13, 2014, for one time only.
5.0 Old Business
a) Lido Garbage Bin
Chair Mulrooney stated that the garbage bin is usually over flowing and something needs to be done to avoid the issues that have happened in the past.
Discussion was held.
Iris Tolliver will talk to MODC and confirm that the bin will be emptied daily by MODC public works department. This item will be placed on the May’s Agenda to follow-up on the issue.

5.0 Old Business (continued)

a) Lido Garbage Bin
Duke Chafe mentioned that the garbage from the Village office is taken up to the fire Department and then he is sorting it. The waste is sorted at the office, but then is dumped into one bag and taken to the Fire Department for disposal.
Discussion was held and Iris Tolliver will speak to Graham MacKay to see if the Village office can use the garbage bins along King Street that the tenants use.
b) Date for Election and AGM
Iris Tolliver reviewed the dates for the Nomination Day – May 14, 2014, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm;
Advance Poll – May 24/14, from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm; Election Day – be Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm; and the AGM – May 28, 2014 at the St. Stephen Church hall at 6:45 pm and have to be out of room at 7:30 pm. After a discussion it was agreed that Iris Tolliver contact Shoreham Village and discuss a Polling Station being established at their location.
6.0 Reports
Policy for reports and reporting
Chair Mulrooney reported that with the ISO program that is being established that some reports are not giving all the pertinent information, and there are reports that should be given that at present is not being given, example PAC, Water Shed Committee. The formats used are very different, the reports are not standardized.
A Standard form will be created and then be critiqued.
a) Fire Chief’s Report
Chief Chafe reported that since the last Commission meeting, there were 1 practice and 10 call outs. The call outs consisted of 6 alarms, 1 pole fire, 1 MVA, 1 medical assist and 1 vehicle fire.
Chief Chafe was approached by the Haven group to see what the status was this year for renting fire trucks and therefore Chief is asking what the status was for taking trucks out of service for movie shoots. They are also interested in one of the surplus units when one becomes available; wondering if one can be bought outright or is it going to be a tendering process? If sold outright, the Haven group may be interested.
Discussion was held.
Chair Mulrooney stated there is a standard policy and charge for renting. Ed Nix, Insurance Agent, said the trucks are to be ready to go at all times, unless they are out for service or practice.
Chief Chafe asked if the trucks will be sold or tendered.
Discussion was held.
Chief Chafe will make arrangements and have them look at it to see what the Haven group is interested in offering.
Tuesday April 22 the Fire Department will be holding the annual meeting and election of officers; Chief Chafe stated that he will not be reoffering as chief. Chief Chafe stated that most of the time, he enjoyed working with the Commission.
b) Fire Advisory
Bill Zinck reported that the next meeting is April 16/14.
c) Clerk Treasurer Report
Iris Tolliver reported that there is an ongoing program with the internet being down and most of the time the problem is with the supplier. Therefore Eastlink has been called to change the phones over as well as the Fire Department. The email addresses will be changed from ‘ns.sympatico.ca’ to ‘eastlink’.
Approval was received for a summer Lifeguard grant.
There was a leak at the Fire Hall and when checked out the shingles were brittle and inferior and will create a problem every time it is windy. New shingles were replaced to stop the present leak.
So the Departments will need to be replaced in the next few weeks. The gyproc was soaked and will be assessed when dry as well as the insulation.
The ISO procedures are being implemented in the office and will be an ongoing process to learn.
The Lido Committee met with Viola HIltz and Darcy Stevens and one of the items which came out of the meeting is that lunch hour will be extended by 30 minutes therefore making public swim times 12 noon to 2:00 pm and then again 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm, Monday to Friday; and all day on Saturday and Sunday till 8:00 pm. July and August the pool will remain open till 9:00 pm.
A sign will be erected stating that no dogs, other than service dogs, will be allowed inside the gates.
Public Washrooms will open May 1, 2014, and will also stay open till 9:00 pm during July and August.
The green bin program will start around June 10th this year; pricing will be asked from GE’s All Trucking and also from Keith Nauss. Iris Tolliver will discuss the issue of either company, using Kings Meadow with Bruce Forest.
A meeting was held with Ed Nix and Larry Chisholm, Brenda Mulrooney, and Iris Tolliver to discuss risks to providing services, with the main areas that need risk assessments done being the Fire and Lido Pool. It was suggested that another meeting with Ed Nix, Insurance Company Representative, and with the Fire Department members to review risk assessment/risk management.
Ed Nix also discussed the Highway closure with motor vehicle accident.
Discussion was held on this issue.
Iris Tolliver suggested having a meeting with Ed Nix, RCMP, DOTIR, and maybe Piotr Luczak.
Discussion was also held on charging the insurance company for the Fire Department ‘s time and equipment.
c) Financial Report
Iris Tolliver distributed and reviewed the financial statements dated February 28/14.
The EMC account was discussed and the cost for maintenance and expense for the EHS building comes out of current account and the rent cheque goes into the savings account. The Bank Manager, John Campbell, is going to transfer these monies from the savings to the current expense as the EHS is supposed to be self-efficient. So it will cover the taxes, plowing, maintenance, etc., that is paid out of the budget. Iris Tolliver said the account could be closed and then the deposits go directly into current expense account.
MOTION: Bill Zinck moved, Bill Nauss 2nd to cancel the EHS account. Carried.
7.0 New Business
a) Sewer System Update
Chair Mulrooney stated that tomorrow, April 10th, there will be a discussion on the sewer at the council meeting, instead of at the Committee of the Whole as was originally planned. So motion can be made at the council meeting.
Chair Mulrooney and the Village’s lawyer will be there and have asked to speak to state the displeasure with their intended plan.
The Village’s sewer rate has allowed the Municipality to have a $250,000.00 in the Village sewer reserve, which the some councillors of the Municipality would like to use to put against the other sewer deficits. The Village’s solicitor states that there is no place in the MGA for the Municipality to be able to do that, so therefore must be held in trust or given back. Service rates versus area rates will be discussed as well.
7.0 New Business (continued)
b) Policy of Criminal Background Checks and Health Examinations
Chair Mulrooney stated that this would be for all staff, commissioners, fire fighters, etc.
There would be ‘vulnerable sector’, ‘Criminal check’, and fire fighters medical. This issue has come through the ISO and NFPA.
Discussion was held on the issue.
It was agreed to include this issue in the meeting with Ed Nix and Larry Chisholm.
c) Policy of Zero Tolerance
After a discussion it was agreed to also discuss this issue with Ed Nix and Piotr Luczak.
8.0 Correspondence
Iris Tolliver stated that there was no correspondence.
Chair Mulrooney stated that the business from the agenda had concluded at 8:37 pm.
9.0 Questions from electors pertaining to the agenda:
There were no questions.

Chair Mulrooney adjourned the meeting adjourned at 8:43pm.

Share this Page:
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • email
This entry was posted in Meetings, Monthly Meetings Agenda and Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.